29 March 2010

A chilling preview of things to come





I once heard a quote with regards to when Anna Wintour was been interviewed, “some people think you’re an ice woman, in which she replied “I’ve heard it’s been cold this winter” I just wanted to open with that quote as I thought it would be quite fitting when talking about a recent parade I saw which left me very cold indeed.

Rundle mall hasn’t seen a decent parade since Rundle Mall Spring 2007, when I started out dressing back of house. The 2010 autumn winter parade seemed a world away from the calibre of event it once was.

The stylistic décor and fabulous sounds of Dj Alley Oop lured the audience into a false sense of security.

The only winter I got out of it was a down pouring of cheesy grins and body movements, especially ridiculous was the hand on the hip dancing like a stripper motion while trying to hold a pose. And the least you could’ve asked for was a decent hold at the end of the runway; you’d have to be a pro photographer to get a perfect shot. The model seemed to do her thing at the end of the runway but not wanting to commit.

There’s nothing wrong with creativity and flair in parade choreography, even though clean, consistent and simple is best. This was a hurricane of sorts it was like 101 choreography routines crammed into every section just for the sake of it.

For the everyday consumer it may have seemed entertaining but not memorable. Too much fan fare can distract from the real reason for the parade to showcase the garments and ultimately sell the clothes in a realistic way. As I sat there with a pursed lips I couldn’t help wondering where the industry had had taken a wrong turn, winter had truly arrived in Adelaide.

photography of parade sourced from Foster Hill PR facebook page 2010, logo sourced from Rundle mall Adelaide

1 comment:

  1. hahahah glorious. Reminds me of my grooming and deportment days... 8 set 'poses' in total, and when we got to the end of the runway, the modelling school director would bark out 'Number 6!" and we'd all strike a pose. :)

    ReplyDelete